Stepney, South Australia is a locality in South Australia. It is located mainly on the south coast about 200 km south of Adelaide. Stepney’s local government area is the District Council of Yankalilla. At the 2016 census, Stepney had a population of 808. Stepney is a town in South Australia. It is located about 63 kilometres (39 mi) south of the state capital, Adelaide. Stepney has a population (2016) of 1,816 and is represented in the South Australian House of Assembly by the Greens’ Alistair Best MLC. Prior to European settlement, Stepney was settled by Indigenous Australians of the Sutu.
It was named after the London Borough of Stepney in 1878 by Governor Fergusson. The District Council of Stepney was proclaimed in 1884 and it was merged into the District Council of Mount Remarkable in 1932. Today, Stepney is a settlement in the District Council of Burra in South Australia.
The local area was originally known as Moorooroo, a name that was given to it by the local Indigenous Australian people who were present in the area before white settlement. The name Stepney was taken from Stepney in England. The area was also once known as Smithfield and as Moorooroo Swamp.
South Australia’s southernmost tip is home to the historic town of Port Lincoln and its towering lighthouse, while its west coast shelters an expanse of national parks reaching up to the entrance to the Great Australian Bight. Yet this land of wide horizons and rolling waves are set to get even bigger, as the state government adds a 12,000 square-kilometer area to its national parks network.
Stepney is the southernmost suburb of Adelaide, in the state of South Australia, Australia. It is located in the City of Onkaparinga. The suburb is named after an area of London in England and was settled by German migrants. The 2001 Australian movie Little Fish starring Cate Blanchett was set in the suburb.
A trip to the park is a great way to cool off on a hot summer day. Stepney has a lot of parks and reserves that are great for a picnic, a game of frisbee, or just relaxing and enjoying the weather. The best part of Stepney’s parks and reserves is that they are free. Here are some of the best parks and reserves in Stepney.
The population of Stepney, South Australia is 6,501 (2011 census). It is a satellite city of Adelaide. Stepney is a former convict settlement settled in 1837 and named after a London Borough.
In 1901, the town of Stepney was founded in what is now the state of South Australia. Stepney’s population in that year was eleven, or eight, or perhaps ten. As of 2011, the town, which was long ago subsumed by the city of Mount Barker, was home to just one, the town’s long-time postmaster, who lived in the former general store. This postmaster’s name was Robert Alexander and, at the time, he was the nation’s last postmaster. (The next one, in the town of Nundroo, was appointed in 2012.)
There are many places of worship in Stepney, South Australia, catering to a range of faiths, including the Holy Saviour Anglican Church, the Stepney Uniting Church, and the Stepney Baptist Church. The Stepney Uniting Church was built in 1877, and was originally known as the Universal Bible Christian Church. The church features a pointed steeple, arched windows and a bell tower. It is now listed on the South Australian Heritage Register. The church contains a pipe organ with two manuals and electrically powered blower. The church is still used for regular services and weddings.