Mile End South
The suburb of Mile End South is located approximately 3 km (2 miles) northwest of Adelaide’s central business district. The suburb is an ethnically diverse, multicultural area with good access to reputable schools, public transport, shopping, and medical services. The Mile End South, Adelaide, South Australia, is a very busy place. This neighborhood got its start in the 1850s when Scottish settlers started building the area. By the time the 1860 census was done, most of the neighborhood—including the residents of Mile End South—was populated by Scottish immigrants. Along MacLaren Road, you’ll find dozens of old Victorian homes, some of which have been turned into restaurants. The area has also become popular in recent years because of its excellent location. Mile End South is located across the street from Adelaide’s central business district. It’s located just off of Rundle Street, which is one of the main streets in Adelaide. On top of that, it’s within walking distance of North Adelaide and the University of South Australia.
From the moment you walk into the building, you’re greeted by a full service concierge with valet parking, and a state-of-the-art fitness center, to the moment you turn off the lights for the night, this is a community for those who appreciate a well-balanced lifestyle. Modern, luxurious and friendly, Mile End South is located in the heart of Adelaide and minutes away from the most desirable shopping, restaurants, cafes and entertainment.
The city of Adelaide and its suburbs has much to offer, and the suburbs of Mile End South is one of them. Found in the northeast part of the metropolitan area, Mile End South is less than 10 kilometers from the center of town. It is close to other districts including Mile End, Grange and Norwood, and has many of the same amenities.
The first European to visit the area of Mile End South was the navigator Matthew Flinders on 5 February 1802. He named the area “Parry Punt” after the explorer Rear Admiral William Robert Parry, who had visited the area in 1802. The first land settler in the area was Colonel William Light, who selected land in the area now known as St Peters. The area was first settled by Europeans in 1830 at Mile End, South Australia. When the Government of South Australia grouped several of the forts on the outskirts of Adelaide into one area, the name Mile End was used. In 1866 part of the land was sold to the Railway Department. It was decided to move the Peterborough railway workshops from Newcastle Street, North Adelaide to the Mile End area at the same time that the line from Adelaide to Port Adelaide was duplicated
Terraced housing in the suburb of Mile End South, South Australia was first constructed between 1944 and 1947. These homes were built for returned servicemen. The suburb was named after the Mile End Road, the road on which the first terraces were built. The Australian government had a policy of prefabricating houses as a solution to the housing shortage in the post war period. The Mile End South houses were prefabricated in South Australia and then transported to site on trucks. The prefabrication process involved the joining of plywood wall, floor and roof components, the installation of electrical and plumbing systems, and the painting of external walls. Some of the prefabricated components were transported to site in one piece, while other components
The suburb of Mile End South was developed between 1944 and 1947. The suburb is located in the City of Tea Tree Gully at the eastern end of the M22 Hills Motorway. It is bounded on the north by Torrens Road and on the east by Grand Junction Road.
The area was originally known as Mile End, and was named by Edward G. Woods, who owned a land subdivision company and was the first of the Woods brothers to settle in the area. His brother Stanley followed, moving to the area in the late 1930s. Stanley was the area’s resident agent and manager, and developed the area with his brother. In 1947, the South Australian Housing Trust subdivided the area.