Montacute Conservation Park
The National Heritage Park of Montacute is a protected area in South Africa. The park was established in 1934, but its name was changed in 2018. The Montacute Conservation Park covers an area of 206 hectares and is bordered on three sides by private land.
With 123 hectares of native bushland, Montacute Conservation Park is a good option for taking a short walk (or a more strenuous hike) through a Perth Hills native landscape. The park is home to 46 species of native animals, including kangaroos, snakes, opossums, and echidnas. There are many places where you can start that walk, with some of them being closer to the car park than others. Start at the Nature’s Way trail, which leads you along with a network of walking paths through native bushland, with some views of Adelaide Hills in the background.
The Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area was established in 2000 to protect the Blue Mountains and their surrounding regions. The Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area consists of six National Parks, 510 nature reserves, and a network of private and public land. Overnight camping is available in the Montacute Conservation Park. For campers who enjoy the sound of wildlife, this is the perfect location.
This park is home to the largest population of kangaroos in New South Wales. It is common to see kangaroos grazing in the park. The park is also home to emus, possums, bandicoots, wombats, and numerous bird species. A popular activity in the area is to spot the wild wallabies that can be frequently seen at dusk. The park is also a haven for insects such as the glow-worm, which can be found at night around the campground area and in the nearby National Park.
The English dramatist and poet Christopher Marlowe (1564-1593) visited Montacute House in 1587 with the Earl of Pembroke (William Herbert, 1st Earl of Pembroke, 1580-1630), and wrote part of his play, The Jew of Malta while staying in the house. The play was first performed in 1592.
Montacute Conservation Park is the ideal location for an early morning or afternoon walk. Overlooked by many, the Park is a place to stop and take a break, read a book, or enjoy your lunch. Historically, a large number of famous people have visited Montacute Conservation Park including Dame Nellie Melba, Dame Elisabeth Murdoch, and author, Henry Lawson.
The park offers more than just a place to visit and observe the wildlife. It is a breeding center for endangered species. It is estimated that approximately 80% of South Australia’s native mammal species have been lost since European settlers arrived in the 19th century. The park plays an important role in the conservation of many rare and endangered species. Some species the park is working hard to preserve are the western barred bandicoot and the desert oak mouse. The Montacute Conservation Park is 264ha of native bushland, lakes, and wetlands situated alongside the Cooks River in Sydney’s inner west.
The park is part of the Cooks River Conservation Area Sydney and is managed by the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service. The Montacute Conservation Park offers plenty of opportunities for bushwalking. The park has many paths including the concrete track around the park which incorporates many boardwalks, stairs, and viewing platforms. There is also a walking track to the Montacute lookout with spectacular views over the Cooks River, the skyline of Sydney, and Botany Bay.
The Montacute Conservation Park contains a large number of different plants, including a few that are unique to this area Montacute Conservation Park, is a 32-hectare historic property located on the northern side of Mount Hutt Road, approximately 1.5 kilometers west of the State Highway 73/State Highway 74 intersection in the South Island. The Montacute House was built in 1859 as a winter retreat for John Jones of the nearby Rapahoe Estate. The two-story brick building facing Mount Hutt Road is the only surviving building in the area which has links to the early European settlement of the Hokitika area. It was converted into a joint constabulary station and military hospital during the First World War. It was purchased by the Westland County Council in 1931 and later purchased by the Westland District Council in 1974.